2004/06/02

Hispanic Nation (Anonymously famous)

Bored and restless for other reasons, I just did a Google search for my 1996 book Hispanic Nation: Culture, Politics and the Constructing of Identity, to see if either the book or the phrase was being mentioned. First thing that popped up was this article in the MARCH 15, 2004 issue of Business Week, "Hispanic Nation". It would have been nice if my book were mentioned -- there's really nothing in the article (except the interview of María Velázquez) that you won't find in my book, including the comparison with German immigration of a century ago. But then what I really wanted to do was insert the phrase and the argument into the debate, and it looks like I've done that.

See also America Becoming a Hispanic Nation, by Phil Brennan, Monday, Mar. 15, 2004, at NewsMax.com. And this Associated Press article, Professor Predicts 'Hispanic Homeland', wherein "A University of New Mexico Chicano Studies professor predicts a new, sovereign Hispanic nation within the century, taking in the Southwest and several northern states of Mexico." (That was just my phrase, not my argument -- I wasn't talking about a sovereign state, and don't expect one.) And for something a little weirder yet, NO FUMAR PARA LA SALUD DE LA FAMILIA (Don't Smoke for the Health of the Family), where the author manages to work this sentence into his anti-smoking argument: "The United States, long priding itself as a nation of immigrants, is well on the way to becoming an Hispanic nation."

I wanted to create a meme, and it looks like I did. OK, now back to work.

No comments: