2010/11/25

Too much selling, too little writing

I've been so caught up in promotion of my own new novel that I haven't had a chance to write about the other readings I'd promised, including Da Cunha and Vargas Llosa's Brazil books. So I'll get to that in a minute. First, to bring everybody up to date on my promotion efforts besides my announcements and video on Amazon and notices in other web venues (Facebook, Twitter, Red Room, etc.). 
  • I'll be offering two presentations of the book locally: On December 9, for my Spanish-speaking friends and fans here, I'm preparing a translation of two short chapters to read in the public library of Carboneras at 7 p.m. Then the following night, December 10, I'll be reading from the book at the Librería (bookstore) Nobel in Vera, in English. Susana has been doing a marvelous job of announcing this event in Vera to the many English and other English-speakers in the area.
  • Very soon I expect to be interviewed by a radio station in San Francisco, in a program aimed at Turks and those interested in Turkey in the US. This should become a podcast, which I can then let everybody know about. I expect a lot of interest in the book from Turks (also from Greeks and anybody who cares about Muslim-Christian relations).
  • Susana and I will be in Greece and Turkey at the end of December and beginning of January. I don't have anything set up in Greece, but I hope at least to visit an English-language bookstore in Athens to see if I can interest them in announcing and distributing the book. In Turkey I'll do the same, and I also have a reading scheduled in Istanbul with a literary club.
I'll save the comments on other readings for a separate blog entry. Meanwhile, I hope thousands, or at least two or three, people choose A Gift for the Sultan as a Christmas gift for friends and relatives.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it's in my shopping cart! just waiting to see what else will land there, maybe Judt's book about Blum, Camus & Aron, or maybe Mark Twain's autobiography. whatever it is, the Sultan will be shipped to me in good company.

Geoffrey Fox said...

Terrific! Those other books are on my list, too. P.S.: Once you've read it, I hope you'll put a comment on Amazon to draw more readers.